- Author: Colin Kerr, Senior Associate, Executive Accounting & Finance | U&U
- Posted: September 7, 2020
Arrivals & Departures
August 2020 was another eventful month for CFOs with almost as many CFOs changing roles as the number of coaches being changed in the NRL….writes Colin Kerr, Senior Associate, Executive Accounting & Finance | U&U
The market was not as busy on the listed front however, some great roles did come onto the market or were completed this month; Metcash, Nine Entertainment, APA, GrainCorp and TPG Telecom (merger of TPG and Vodafone Hutchison Australia) all confirming their CFOs. ASX CFO roles still not confirmed include Cochlear, BNK Bank and Transurban.
Interesting ASX CFO roles confirmed this month include:
- Alistair Bell being appointed Group CFO at Metcash. Alistair is a highly experienced ASX listed CFO coming from GrainCorp and is replacing Brad Soller.
- Ian Morrison replaces Alistair Bell as CFO at GrainCorp. Ian has been the interim CFO and has been at GrainCorp since 2011.
- Maria Phillips is the new CFO at Nine Entertainment. Maria is replacing Paul Koppelman who is returning to Melbourne. Maria will start immediately having recently left Velocity Frequent Flyer.
- Adam Watson will join APA in November as their new CFO replacing Peter Fredricson who announced his retirement earlier in the year. Adam is moving from Transurban where he was CFO.
- Following the merger of TPG and Vodafone Hutchinson Australia, Stephen Banfield, who was with TPG prior to the merger, has been appointed CFO of TPG Telecom. Sean Crowley, who was with Vodafone Hutchinson, and who had been acting CFO, will stay with the company and become Deputy CFO.
- Jussi Nunes who announced his resignation from BNK Bank last month has a new CFO role with payments platform business – Openpay. Malcolm Cowell has been appointed the interim CFO at BNK Bank.
August was the month for Not-for-Profit organisations, with four well known organisations hiring new CFOs.
- Paul Wilson has big shoes to fill, stepping into the CFO role at The Smith Family. Paul is taking over from Eamon Daly. Eamon will stay within The Smith Family to assist on a number of projects.
- St Vincent de Paul Society NSW welcomes a new CFO – Jean Baptiste Naudet will join as CFO. Jean-Baptiste joins after a remarkably successful career at Johnson & Johnson.
- Barnardos Australia also welcomes a new CFO this month – popular Irishman James Barry taking that role.
- The Y NSW have appointed a new CFO following Jenny Woodward’s departure, but still waiting for the name to be confirmed.
Other CFO moves of interest include:
- TAFE NSW are in the market for a CFO – this role was advertised on Seek and is a result of a restructure. Mark Easson the current CFO will leave the organisation.
- Colin Stringfield, after 12 years with Agrifoods, has a new CFO role. Colin has joined Antec – an industrial services business.
- We all have our tax returns sorted out now that Tim Raaff has joined H&R Block as their CFO.
- City of Parramatta also have a new CFO – Paul Perrett joining recently.
Lastly, and a sign of the times, Tino La Spina’s role at Qantas was made redundant. Tino was CEO International but had previously been the Qantas CFO.
If there are any moves that have been missed which you think would be worth sharing or wish to discuss your own next move, please contact Colin via [email protected]
Colin Kerr, Senior Associate, Executive Accounting & Finance | U&U Recruitment Partners
Colin recruits interim and contracting roles in the Accounting and Finance space. This includes the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) role and their direct reports (Financial Controller, Finance Manager, Management Accountant, Financial Planning & Analysis), as well as any other finance roles that sit in a corporate head office – tax, internal audit and treasury. Colin has two decades of experience in accounting and finance recruitment in Sydney and is a qualified Chartered Accountant